New Yorkers

New Yorkers by O-Henry


This book has short stories of New Yorkers. This time, I'll introduce one story: 'Tildy' s Moment'.

 Tildy is a woman who work in a restaurant. The restaurant has a beautiful tall thin woman, Aileen. She was loved and given many presents by customers. Tildy was completely oppose to her and in fact she envied Aileen.
 One day, a customer kissed on Tildy's cheek. Since she can't have romance in her life, she was so happy and excited. But later, the man visited again and told her.
 'I want to say that I'm sorry for what I did to you a few days ago. It was the drink, you see. I didn't know what I was doing. I'm very sorry.'(p.32)
  She was so sad and cried. Then Aileen told to her the words.
'Don't be unhappy, Tildy. That little Seeders has got a face like a dead potato! He's nothing. A real man never says sorry!'(p.32)
I loved this very much. Aileen's cheerfulness is described well. When I break up my love someday, I would like to be healed like this. Well...I don't have any man to tell me bye:(

コメント