King Solomon's Mine

Book review: King Solomon's Mine (2000) by H. Rider Haggard


This is an also famous story in Japan.
And it is made as movie series too.
In fact, I didn't know this before I found it in the library. I'm not so interested in such an adventure stories and I didn't try to read it. This time I read it and I got a new idea about adventure story like this.

In this book, I selected one scene which changed my thought about adventures.
Sir Henry said at last, 'I thought you were dead. I have been over the Suliman Mountains to find you.'
 'I tried to go over the Suliman Mountains nearly two years ago,' was the answer.'But a rock fell on my leg and broke it. I have not been able to go forward or back.'
 'How are you, Mr Neville?' I said. 'Do you remember me?
 'Isn't it Quatermain - and Good too?' he said. 'This is very strange, you have made me a very happy man when I had given up hope.'(p.63) 
This scene describes the time Henry, one of the main characters, and his brother, Neville meet again for the first time in almost 2 years. Henry and Quatermain was traveling to find King Solomon's Mine but  especially Henry's main purpose of it was to find his brother who haven't see him for a long time because of quarrel before.
These travelers were giving up to Find the Mine because of not arriving there in the hard travel then.


In old my opinion, Adventure is to find wealth and make dream and hope come true through a lot of hard situations. But I realized that true Adventure gives us not Rich but precious opportunities to look myself back and think it.
After I read it, I came to want to go trip alone to find who I am and what I really want. I found this movie in Youtube so I'll watch it definitely later.

Please try to read it if you come to be interested in this.
Thank you for reading.




 

コメント